Friday, July 22, 2011

Great accidental bilingual pun? or GREATEST accidental bilingual pun? Y/y

Hey. I figured something out which I think roughly 90% of the people reading this don't care about. I'm writing about it anyways.
You may or may not have seen this music video from Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, a really... fascinating... animated series from Gainax. I actually really recommend it, especially if you're leery of anime because of the style. It still kinda plays up those tropes though, so I don't quite put it in the category of anime that one enjoys completely regardless of their opinions on anime in general (eg, Cowboy Bebop, Miyazaki anything.)



It's a lot of fun matching up the references in the video to the bands that inspired them. But that's not why I'm here.
There's a line that confused me a bit, and google searches offered no relief.
Stocking sings "I got no mercy/ for chiralism."
I thought this might be a reference to the chemical property of chirality. It's not pronounced correctly, but chiralism would roughly mean "handism", so I thought it might be a strangely strained and poetic way to say she's impatient with masturbat[ion|ers].
Turns out it's actually a bizarrely (but entirely in keeping with the way Panty & Stocking roll) Anglified Japanese word: chirarizumu (チラリズム), which is a noun meaning "a titillating voyeuristic incident". It's apparently onomatopoeic, because of the weird Japanese synesthesia that says that events make noises. "Chirari" is the noise of a quick and unexpected glimpse.
So she's actually saying she's not gonna go easy on voyeurs and peepers.

So I figured it out. I actually didn't check Google to see if anyone else had discovered this in the interim. Huh. Curiously, it seems some people have, but they don't have the whole story.
Do I win a prize anyways?

No comments: